US House Speaker John Boehner has made an impassioned speech urging Congress to pass a Republican bill and end an impasse over the debt ceiling.
He told the House of Representatives that a Republican plan to increase the debt limit advances the "great cause of a balanced budget amendment".
The Republican-led House is now voting on Mr Boehner's proposal.
The US risks defaulting on its financial obligations if a federal budget deal is not struck by 2 August.
Speaking in the House, Mr Boehner said Republicans had tried their "level best" to reach a deal.
"I stuck my neck out a mile to get an agreement with the president of the United States," Mr Boehner said, referring to negotiations with President Obama that twice broke down.
source: bbcukBerita Lain:
- Fort Hood dan#039;plotdan#039; soldier Naser Abdo defiant in court
- Norway shooting: Funerals for Breivik victims
- Turkey: Military chiefs dan#039;resign en massedan#039;
- US debt: Republican leaders in rush to save debt bill
- US economy: GDP growth much weaker than thought
30 Jul, 2011
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com